Saturday, January 3, 2009

My Long Ago Family


Chinese proverb: "To forget one's ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without root."

Who knows why I became interested in tracing my family's history - but interested I am. This photo is a baptism taking place in Mrs. Essie Sammon's fishpond in Gwinnett County, Georgia. I'm not certain of the date of the photograph. Essie was a member of the Hebron Baptist Church which was organized July 2, 1842. My direct Sammon ancestor (Mary B. Sammon) was also a member of this church.

The charter members were: John Wood, A. J. Wood, L. A. Wood Sr., H. M. Wood, Wm. Richardson, Sanford Goodwin, Mrs. Sanford Goodwin, Elizabeth Wood, Suanna Wood, Elizabeth H. Wood, Emily H. Moore, Nancy Reed, Mary B. Sammon, Polly A. Green and Marcouri Richardson, a colored slave. Almost all of these families are connected in some way to my Sammon ancestors. [GWINNETT CHURCHES A COMPLETE HISTORY OF EVERY CHURCH IN GWINNETT COUNTY, GEORGIA,WITH SHORT BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF ITS MINISTERS BY J. C. FLANIGAN 1911]

I love the research!


No comments:

Post a Comment