The Badu House in Llano, Texas had great food, excellent service, AND across the street is a most interesting museum connected with the restaurant. Unfortunately, this restaurant closed its doors October 21, 2008.
The Badu House was built in 1891 by the Austin architectural firm of Larramour and Watson. It was originally constructed to serve as the First National Bank of Llano, with office space on the second story. In March 1898, the bank became defunct and the building was sold to French native N.J. “Professor” Badu, a noted local mineralogist. Professor Badu and his family made a home of the Badu House and the building was passed down for generations.
Even until 1980, the Badu House was still owned by Mrs. Robert (Carrol) Phelan, granddaughter of Mr. Badu. In 1980, Ann and Earl Ruff of Houston, Texas purchased the Badu House and restored it as a restaurant and country inn. Throughout the last 20 years, the Badu House has had several different owners, but most often it was known as a lovely restaurant, bar and bed and breakfast.