Friday, March 13, 2009

I have 'delayed recall"




















I purchased several pairs of reading glasses
so I could always find a pair -
that just isn't working. I never remember where I left them . . .

These are begot in the ventricle of memory, nourished in the womb of pia mater, and delivered upon the mellowing of occasion.
Love’s Labour ’s Lost. Act iv. Sc. 2.


According to the authors of the Johns Hopkins white paper on memory, "studies repeatedly show that older people who do poorly on timed tests actually do as well or better than their college-age counterparts when they are permitted to work at their own pace." The machinery was slow, but it worked. It was not dial-up, not broadband, but it was still connected.

"It is not that the right side of the brain (where we encounter new and novel situations) is abandoned for the left, but that with age the left side is more fully engaged. Or, simply, it is more full."

No comments:

Post a Comment